Friday, July 28, 2006

I'm at a conference all day today called Lockdown. Basically all kinds of different computing security isuue talks and other related stuff. I've been having a really good time with it today, it's really quite a good conference this year, but there are some things that just make me laugh. And since I've got the spare time, you get to read about them now.

-The sheer number of acronyms that are in use in IT today. I don't think you can go for more than a minute or two in any presenters talk without some acronym being used. Some can't go more than 1-2 sentances.

-The sheer number of diet cokes that I've put down. Have I mentioned that there is free soda, coffee, and munchies all day? Not to mention an *excellent* catered lunch which has given me a severe case of food coma.

-On that train of thought, where else but at a geek conference can you hit the snack bar and find boursin cheese next to gummy bears? I love it.

-I'm glad to see that multitasking is common across all IT geeks. Almost everyone has a laptop in front of them, and most are managing their networks or doing email while listening to the talks. At least that's what I assume they're doing. The guy in front of me is, I can't see the others too well 8-)

-Dear lord this current guy has the most monotone voice that I've ever heard. This plus food coma is going to equal drool on my keyboard... time for another diet coke...brb

-OK, where was I? Hey, new email in, one more sec! Eh, spam. Dammit. Anyways...umm...gah. I think there was something else that I was laughing at, but I can't remember now. Oh, well. We'll see if these guys are interesting. If not, I'll probably post more soon :D

2 Comments:

Blogger Johnny Mack said...

Hope they gave away some cool stuff at the end of the presentation... that way keeps most of my attention!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Jason Erdmann said...

nope, they were pretty cheap on that this year. One iPod shuffle, two books, one keyboard (advertised as "almost indestructable"!), one gaming mouse, one webcam, and one package of monitor cleaning cloths. OK, typed out that looks like a lot, but the only thing worth any excitement is the iPod, and not even really for that. Oh well. At least most of the presentations were good.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home